Public Works

Public Works and Water Department

New Water/Trash Service         

Anyone moving to Prairie Grove will be required to pay a $75.00 deposit for water service or $125.00 for a rental unit deposit. A $25.00 deposit is required for "trash only" service. Deposits will not be waived. They must be paid by the date service begins.

You can now use a debit or credit card for your deposit.


Your Water Bill

 Bills are mailed around the 25th of each month. Payments are always due on the 10th of the month unless the 10th falls on a weekend and then it is the following Monday. Penalties for late payments are assessed after the due date. Cut Off Notices are sent about the 17th of the month and give the cut-off date. Water is subject to disconnect after 10:00 a.m. on the stated cut-off date.


Reconnect Fee

If service is disconnected, a $40.00 Reconnect Fee will be applied during regular hours. After hours, reconnect fees are $80.00.


Call for Service

Customers are NOT to turn on or off water at their meter. If you need your service turned on or off, please contact us, and we will send a serviceman out to your home. Some homes have a separate shut-off valve, this is permissible at that location. If you turn your water on, a tampering fee may be charged to you.

Frequently Asked Questions

How is our water tested?:

The City utilizes the independent State Labs, run by the Arkansas Department of Health to handle most regulatory testing. Hundreds of tests are run on our drinking water throughout the year. Tests for organic contaminants, synthetic contaminants, volatile organic contaminants, as well as radiochemical contaminants are all tested by the Department of health. Samples are also run weekly, at numerous locations throughout the system, and drawn  by water department staff and then sent to the health department labs in Little Rock that look at biological contaminants such as fecal coliform. Other routine sampling by the Health Department looks for organic byproducts such as Trihalomethanes, total organic carbons, and Haleoacetic acids.  Some testing, which is crucial to treatment and daily reporting is done in house in the City's own lab.  Parameters such as Turbidity, Ph, Fluride, Chlorine residual, iron, alklinity, etc., are amoung the parameters monitored in the City's lab.  In addition, the lab is constantly running small pilot testing, called jar samples, to determine the best chemical rates for treatment. 

What should we do if we discover our water is brown or discolored?

Brown water is caused by iron and other materials stirred up in the water mains. This can be caused by a water main break, Water Department crews flushing out hydrants, the fire department using fire hydrants, or any large demand which causes water to flow faster than normal conditions. If you are experiencing this problem, call the water department and report it (846-2961). After crews flush the main which typically clears up after a short period of time, you can simply turn on the OUTSIDE COLD WATER FAUCET nearest the water meter and let the water run for a few minutes. This should clean out the residue in your service line, and clear the problem. If it doesn't clear after 5-10 minutes,  the water main may need additional flushing so call for assistance.  The water is safe to drink, but do not wash whites, since they will discolor, until you are sure it’s clear. If you have washed and have rust-colored whites, we have products available for customers that will remove the discoloring. If the problem reappears, please report it again.

Iron and Manganese can also cause discoloration in water. These are natural minerals that pose no health risk, but under specific conditions of temperature, DO, and Ph can emerge from the water and discolor the water. Typically these are only noticed in the heat of summer. The Iron especially can travel through water lines in “slugs”, which are pockets of iron and can usually be flushed; however, additional slugs can reappear. Please contact the water department and follow the instructions above. 

What should I do if I have a water leak?

Learn where your home cut off valve is. The meter stop in the City’s meter box is not for customer use. Every home should have a cut off valve. Some are located near the meter (primarily on newer homes), some are located at the hot water tank. For assistance Call the water office during normal business hours (846-2961), or on weekends, holidays, before 7:30 am or after 4:30 pm, call 267-1554 and listen to the message, enter your phone number after the beep and someone will return your call. There are additional emergency numbers listed in the phone book under Prairie Grove Water Department as well. Other common leaks that are not usually of an emergency nature, are toilets leaking by. By far the majority of leaks detected are either the flapper valve leaking by in the toilet tank, or the fill valve leaking by allowing the tank to slowly overflow. These often cannot be heard unless you put your ear down close to the tank to listen.

The City bills for sewer use based on your water meter reading, however, the meter reading only determines your sewer fee for the 5 winter months of the year. The other 7 months, sewer is charged as an average of the other 5 months.  This saves users from having to pay for higher summertime water use, such as watering, pools, or outdoor activities.  If your leak occurs during those winter months, let the business office know you had a leak, and if the leak did not enter the sewer, your bill can be averaged for the month. 

For leak checks, call the water office (846-2961) during normal business hours to schedule. 

Where does our water come from?

The City has two sources of water. On many days, both sources are used throughout the day.  The City operates a treatment plant at Prairie Grove Lake and produces over 40% of the City’s water from that plant. The rest of the City’s water is purchased from, and is piped from a treatment plant in NE Benton County on Beaver Lake. The regional plant is operated by the Benton/Washington Regional Public Water Authority.

How are water and sewer bills calculated?

Meter readings are read monthly and determine how much water is used at each residence or business. Click here to view Water Rates. Sewer bills are based on water usage during the winter months. Sewer averaging goes into effect in April so that you aren’t penalized for watering or irrigation during warmer summer months. 

What should I do if my sewer is stopped up?

If one fixture is stopped up or only one area of the house and others are working properly, it is probably a problem in your private lines and will require contacting a plumber. If the water only backs up when you are using washing machines, showering, or dish washers, then this is also a good indication that the problem is in your private line. If the water backs up for no reason, call the City immediately (846-2961) during business hours, 267-1554 after hours, holidays, and weekends. Listen to the message and enter your phone number after the beep. 

View All FAQ's

Public Works Department
975 E. Douglas
Prarie Grove, AR 72753
United States

View in Google Maps

35.984318686045, -94.300316817711